mixxt

Welcome to mixxt!

How to motivate people using a communication platform?

link this post written on 12/04/2011
  • To top

How many platforms do you use and why? How intensively do you use the platforms and why?
Let's collect some arguments and decision point. Everybody can derive conclusions then how to motivate people using a communication platform.

link this post written on 18/04/2011
  • To top

Hi,

for the time being i use social software platforms

facebook: to catch-up with the latest news of my 'friends', to upload photo and the like

twitter: to know latest trends and latest news and share quick info

wadja (http://www.wadja.com/) to exchange info with people that share with me the same interests

Cheers,

Anna

The author has edited this post (on 29/04/2011)
link this post written on 18/04/2011
  • To top

From your answer I take the important point for motivation:

"I'm motivated to use a platform if there is a real purpose for my dayly life."

And another one:

"I'm motivated to use a platform if I can integrate the usage to all of my personal habits. It must be compatible with the procedures I usually do over the day."

And another one:

"I'm motivated to use a platform if other people (the friends) use it too."

In all cases you don't need extra motivation.

link this post written on 26/04/2011
  • To top

Hello Volker

I use Toledo as platform for my work. I check it several times a day because my learners upload their tasks, they react in the forum and ask questions to me and to others, they post assignements that need correction and I use it to mail them or to announce some events or just give them practical info concerning the next contact moment or concerning an eLearning task, ....

I use facebook but I am not a good user. I prefer not to be too active there because I don't like to share my life with people I don't know so well. I like to follow my friends there, (especially our daughter when she has uploaded some pics she wants to share with me) and it is nice to stay informed about the whereabouts of my former colleagues, students etc... I have a look at least once a day, just to stay in touch. I prefer to send private mails to friends rather then update my wall. It is fun to see new pictures of the persons I am linked with.

I have a linkedIn account but I practically don't use it. it is nice to be invited by new members and to follow ex-students, making carreer.

U use mixxt for the project news. I like here that I can announce what I do for the project and it interests me to know what others are dealing with concerning the project of concerning private matters.

link this post written on 28/04/2011
  • To top

Hello Manuella,
you use platforms nearly the same way I do this. I use some more business platforms like Toledo. And as written above I'd say you are motivated to use a platform if it is easy enough and brings some purpose for your business or personal life.

When reading your message two points came into my head.

1. I think we both are doubtful what will happen with our personal data when sharing this and using in a public platform like facebook. You never know who reads this. Facebook is often a mystery for me. I'm not a power user. Everytime when I check this I find something new (what I often don't need), advertising, the activities of my friends, the activities of some bad guys who have attacked and spamed me or my friends, new functionality and so on. And everything is written on my wall. So it is impossible to ignore this. So I can summarize another point:

"I use a platform if it is easy to use and transparent in all functions. I want to be sure in each situation about the consequencies of my activities in a platform."

2. It is not easy to keep business and personal life separate. I my job this is necessary I think. So I need more than one platform. But also in my personal life I want to have a separation. Look in my facebook. You will find very different friends there. I have friends who I know from steLLLa. Many of my other contacts I know from my hobby tall-ships and geocaching, learning French and so on. Does it mean I need 2,3,4...more personal platforms? How do you handle this in your case. I think for instance Yannis does everything with 1 platform only. And it rises another point:

3. I want to keep an eye on every platform. We need some mechanisms to connect everything. I cannot check too many letter boxes in the web each day. I need to forward all different platform news to one management center. This is possible with the help of RSS. But who uses RSS professionally and with what tools. my management center is my mail client which would be suitable and prepared but so far I havn't configured it properly.

"I use different platforms if I can connect all platforms together what enables me to save my time. If connection is not possible it is not possible to be very active in some of the platforms."

What do you think? What does the whole group think about this?

And have a fine day, Volker

link this post written on 12/05/2011
  • To top

Hi all,

I agree with almost all of what has been said so far in this forum, esp. about the privacy issue in facebook and alike social networking sites, which I believe are not so much better in keeping privacy of their users.

I also totally agree with Manuella's point of not wanting to share my personal life, i.e. exposing myself to facebook friends or rather contacts whom I don't really know but added them because I met them a few times. In the beginning I tried to seperate contacts by creating different groups of people to which one can give different levels of access to different information of my profile, status, activities, i, e. restrict access to my personal information. For example, I would add a 'real' friend without any restrictions. I would have a list of job-related friends who would have less access to my images. I would add peopl who I actually considered half-strangers to a very limited profile. But I stopped doing it because it's not only very complicated but also I don't really know if it's true that those people on the lists have restricted access, hence, I don't trust facebook.

In general, I don't really understand why one has to share one's personal life in a virtual community instead of doing so in real life. It doesn't make me feel closer to my friends if I post what I ate last night or to read that my friend went to xyz concert.

As far as motivation is concerned, I believe that one needs to have a need that is fulfilled by the platform. For example, I believe that many SNS users have a need for connection and therefore use facebook and alike because they actually do feel more connected to their friends by posting and reading posts. Some might have a need of community, to be part of a community, for example as a member of a group in facebook.

At CNTI, we use basecamp for working on projects. Basically, I made all MobLang partner organizations use basecamp for commnication purposes, file sharing, task assignments, milestones etc. So, my need in this case would be management or organization. The partners' need would be an external one because I convinced/forced them to use it.

Best,

Tatjana

link this post written on 13/05/2011
  • To top

Thank you Tatjana for your feedback.

Tatjana Taraszow:

As far as motivation is concerned, I believe that one needs to have a need that is fulfilled by the platform.

I agree. The following question is: where does the "need" come from? Does it usually come from the user himself or herself or can we as teachers or trainers "define a need". If yes, how can we do this?

Regarding this question I think

• Many users don't know that the platform can help in solving a problem that users usually have. So it is a task of a trainer to show the advantages of a platform usage.
  • Trainers or every provider of a platform should know a lot about the (potential) users to adapt the platform's functionality as much as possible to the needs of the users.

Tatjana Taraszow:

At CNTI, we use basecamp for working on projects. Basically, I made all MobLang partner organizations use basecamp for commnication purposes, file sharing, task assignments, milestones etc. So, my need in this case would be management or organization. The partners' need would be an external one because I convinced/forced them to use it.

Well, sometimes forcing somebody is ok. But the better solution for sure is conviction. we have never forced a partner in steLLLa to use this platform for instance. Some of us do it, some other not. But it is clear: the more people use the platform in mixxt, the better is the effect for everybody.

Best regards, Volker

• Statistics: 7 Posts | 22 Visits

Sign in here

Not a member of this network?

Alternative logins

You can use an account of a third party.

Network details

• Search for:

• Network name

steLLLa 2.0
    The stimulation of eLearning for life long learning for adults

• Your host is

Christian Schütt

• Created on

05/11/2009

• Members

• Language

English